LDM Online 112: Independent Study Course
We help the dying and their loved ones when we help manage symptoms and provide comfort care.
In this symptom management course you will learn about common symptoms that may occur as people are dying. These symptoms can begin months and years before the individual dies.
From there you can learn the “essentials” of symptom assessment, management and comfort measures. Explore comfort measures that can be used by all care team members put together your own basket of "comfort measures".
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- 1. Talk about the common symptoms experienced by dying individuals and understand why and how to use standardized assessment tools in your caregiving (for all levels of caregivers).
- 2. Understand why the process of providing care, as identified by the Canadian Hospice Palliative Care Association (CHPCA), helps us to make sure that patients recieve the best care possible.
- 3. Identify three parts of the CHPCA process that are meaningful within the your caregiving practice.
- 4. Talk with team members and family about how easy it is to use of the Palliative Performance Rating Scale.
- 5. List ten common principles for managing symptoms using medications.
- 6. Talk with team members and family about the common myths and fears of using opioids.
- 7. Identify three things you can do in your caregiving practice when patients and families are concerned about using opioids (for all levels of caregivers).
- 8. Through an experiment, learn what the sensation of dyspnea feels like for yourself and for other participants. Understand how to identify if a patient is experiencing dyspnea and learn ways to provide comfort to an individual who is struggling to breathe.
- 9. Build a "Comfort Basket" that can be individualized to the patient when providing comfort care.
- 10. Understand ways to apply this new information into their caregiving practice.
This course requires on average 15-20 hours of time to be complete over a 1 year time frame.
More information about Independent Study Courses with LDM Online here.